The Chamber now has confirmed that Governor Charlie Crist and Command Sergeant Major Michele Jones will serve as surrogates for Senators McCain and Obama respectively. Politics in the Park will begin promptly at 5:30 with Governor Crist and Command Sergeant Major Jones speaking first.
Politics in the Park is an old-fashioned political rally that gives the community an opportunity to meet with and hear from candidates – across all levels of government – for the 2008 election. And for the first time in the event’s history, admission to the main event is FREE!
Please join us for this family-friendly event with special appearances to be made by AMVETS Post 32, the Lakeland High School Drumline, emcee Jennifer Leigh of News Channel 8, and a Fly-By of a vintage World War II aircraft will kick off the event.
Local restaurants participating in the event are: Abuelo’s, Ale Gators, Dairy Queen, Fred’s Southern Kitchen, Outback Steakhouse and Rib Crib. In addition, hot dogs will be available.
In addition, the following candidates have confirmed attendance:
- US Representative District 12: The Honorable Adam Putnam and Doug Tudor
- US Representative District 15: Frank Zilaitis
- State Senate District 17: Senator JD Alexander and Scott Thompson
- State Representative District 64: Alton Smith, Kelli Stargel and Gordon Watts
- State Representative District 65: Bob Hagenmaier and John Wood
- State Representative District 79: Ray Worley
- County Commission District 3: Nancy Daley, Ed Smith and Ghassan Zebdaoui
- County Commission District 5: Commissioner Sam Johnson, Jim Brown and Jackie Smith
- Polk County Sheriff:Shefiff Grady Judd and Michael Lashman