In March of this year, a group of Lakeland residents came together to support the City’s application to Google’s high-speed fiber project. As the application was sent off to “Googleville” for review, the group of residents quickly realized that the need for connectivity in our community was greater that a reliance on ultra high-speed fiber from Google. These folks wanted Lakeland to be connected to the Internet, yes; but more importantly, connected to each other.
There have been some administrative updates over the past few months, and the ConnectLakeland initiative has been integrated into the Lakeland Vision umbrella. Through it all, the leadership of the group developed a Vision & Mission and prioritized goals for the immediate future.
Vision: Establish Lakeland, Florida as the most connected city on the planet.
Mission: Enable residents, visitors, businesses, government and organizations to come together.
1) Installing high speed wireless and wired infrastructure
2) Create a community “portal”
3) Interconnecting people, business, government, services/organizations, healthcare, and education
4) Connecting local to global to differentiate and become an advantaged community
So, without a budget, the group has determined that the one thing we can do to affect change for our connectivity is to create a community portal. ConnectLakeland.com will become a resource to Lakeland residents and visitors- by Lakeland residents and visitors. Eventually, the site hopes to include a comprehensive community calendar.
So now, we’re meeting. Please, join the ConnectLakeland team as we tackle the development of ConnectLakeland.com. Volunteers are needed in the following areas:
- Programming experience with WordPress and/or PHP
– Designer(s) comfortable working with WordPress and/or PHP
– CSS experience
– Content development and editing interest
If you’re capable in one of those areas, we need you! Please, join us at the Lakeland Police Department Community Room Thursday, 7/22 at 8:30 a.m. Bring ideas & creativity!